Monday, February 7, 2011

Adult Acne

Adult acne is frustrating.  Personally, I have been battling this insidious and irritating condition over the last several years.  I have more acne scars now at the age of 40  than I did at the age of 16.  My acne always cleared up with each of my pregnancies and seemed to be only a slight concern in my twenties and early thirties.  After 35, however, it seemed as though things really went downhill.  I was so bothered and frustrated by this condition that I went so far as to ask my midwife for a prescription for Yaz (the birth control pill that advertised clearer skin) several years ago and greatly regretted that decision after only seven days taking the pill - it made me feel as though I was living in a cloud of depression and walking through sludge every day.  The week progressed slowly and I threw the rest of the pills away - at that point feeling like having some pimples was definitely the lesser of the two evils.  Lately I have been once again researching causes of adult acne and trying to find out how to tackle this problem in a satisfactory fashion.  First, hormonal imbalances are spoken about frequently and this does seem to make sense for me considering the bloating and cramps that I also suffer.  Progesterone creams seem to be increasingly popular and I have considered trying one.  However, the more that I have read, the more I have decided to try some other options first.  One important factor in the regulation of hormones is the adrenal gland.  The adrenal gland is sensitive to biorhythms and stress and can be effected by an erratic lifestyle and bedtime. (Please read through the info on the below link to Heartspring website to read more about this). Next, some researchers insist that what you eat has no effect on your skin and acne.  I find that hard to believe.  The food itself may not have any effect directly on your skin, but it effects all other parts of your body, some of which do have an effect on your skin.  Finally, supplements are talked about in helping to relieve skin issues.  Calcium taken on a regular basis has been found in studies to improve PMS symptoms and acne in women over three months and six months in follow up visits.  Omega-3 fatty acids are found to help as an anti-inflammatory and are good for skin issues, PMS, lowering the incidence of heart disease, and a whole range of other health benefits.  Finally, I connected with the website Acne.org and read Dan Kern's Regimen to tackle acne.  This website is informative and offers great tips on how to care for the face.

So!!  With all the research I completed and read through this is what I have been doing for the last month.

1.  I have gone to bed by 10:00 pm 99% of the time ( I was awake past 10:00 pm for only 2 nights)
2.  I have been following the Regimen using Cetaphil Cleanser, Neutrogena's Fade and Clear gel, Kiss My Face Peaches and Cream  Alpha-Hydroxy Moisturizer
3.  I have been taking daily Pure Essence Labs One "n" Only Women's Formula, a Flax Seed/Fish Oil Omega Supplement, and Emergen-C Calcium/Vit C/Vit D powder supplement .
4.  I have really limited my intake of salt.

Guess What!  After one month of diligent follow through, I am still pimple free!  My bloating has not returned, and other than battling a cold, I feel pretty great!  The Neutrogena product is expensive for the amount you can buy ($9.99 for 0.5 ounces - that is a tablespoon!), so I went to Acne.org and purchased his Benzoyl Peroxide treatment.  If you live in Sioux Falls, you can go to the Health Basket and try out the Women's supplement I am taking - I do recommend it.  Mention Sioux Falls Holistic Nurse and get 10% discount!

I have included links  to some really interesting and informative websites that I found while researching this issue.  Please write in about your experiences and let us know what works for you.

http://www.acne.org/aboutme.html
http://heartspring.net/progesterone_cream.html
http://www.essortment.com/all/whatisflaxsee_pfy.htm

Blessings and clear skin to all!
Gina

No comments:

Post a Comment